Saturday, April 3, 2010

Took a bike to Maui last month


Packed a Surly TravelersCheck to Maui last month. I  checked in at West Maui Cycles in Lahaina for some local 411 about good riding there and the local riding conditions.

Always check in at a local shop to pick up some energy bars and local pearls.

After getting appraised of  a '17 degree' section deferentially  referred to by the shop employee as 'the wall' and a couple of other, lesser climbs on the route around West Maui decided it was well worth trying to bag.


 I hit the highway the next morning about 7AM sporting a pocket HD camcorder and with an elcheapo helmet camera duct taped to my chainstay . i brought along a half dozen energy gels, a half gallon of water, and an inking i would be having a sublime and potentially challenging riding experience.

 I poured thru that half gallon, and more than a half gallon more, on my ride around west maui that morning. Maybe its because i was wearing wool?

I rate this ride as one of the best 10 rides on the American Pacific for the scenery, challenge, lack of traffic and classic feel. One of the best. 




1 comment:

  1. Spectacular. thanks for posting this. I did the Hana ride while I lived in Honolulu, but never did W.Maui. Dumb me....

    ReplyDelete